Sometimes a fairly plain exterior can hide something remarkable inside. The Chapel in Lugwardine in Herefordshire certainly fits into this category. Within the modest simple Gothic structure with its pretty round window the curious visitor will find a spectacular Victorian encaustic tiled floor.
The Evangelical Protestant Mission was established at Lugwardine in 1820 and the present chapel in Lumber Lane was built in the last quarter of the nineteenth century by William Godwin, owner of the Lugwardine Tile Works.
The brighly coloured floor is part of Godwin’s legacy and comprises around 5,000 Godwin tiles in a huge variety of different designs.
Today the chapel is a Partnership and Ichthus Link Church and its brand of Christian Fellowship thrives through a number of weekly activities, which range from serious Bible study and prayer to a lively Youth Club.