New OUP books on Whitefield and Wesley published
George Whitefield: Life, Context, and Legacy
Edited by Geordan Hammond and David Ceri Jones – Whitefield flier
- Offers a reassessment of Whitefield’s life, and interprets him in a wide range of new contexts.
- Includes examination of Whitefield’s chequered relationship with the Church of England, his engagement with the British overseas Empire, and Whitefield’s appropriation of elements of enlightened thought.
- Explores Whitefield and the literary tradition of affectations.
- Examines Whitefield’s understanding of evangelical conversion, his theological development, and his contribution to the formation of evangelical piety.
John Wesley in America: Restoring Primitive Christianity
Geordan Hammond – Wesley flier
- This is the first book-length study of John Wesley’s experience in Georgia (1736-37)
- Provides insight into a formative period in the life of John Wesley and the history of colonial Georgia
- Contributes to the debate on the importance of the Georgia mission for later developments in Methodism by providing a detailed and clear picture of the mission and its context
This entry was posted in News
and tagged books
. Bookmark the permalink