October’s Chapel of the Month is the picturesque North Lopham Wesleyan Chapel, Norfolk listed at Grade II. Dating from 1812, it is alleged to be one of the oldest Methodist Chapels existing within Norfolk and is now in the Diss Circuit of the East Anglia District.
The chapel has a brick front with side walls of flint pebble with brick dressings and a hipped pitched roof covering of dark glazed pantiles except for the front slope which is of slate. A broad principal elevation consists of three bays with two round-arched doorways and a flat brick string course between corner pilasters. Three segmental mid C19 sash windows exist to the first floor.
The interior has its original panelled three sided balcony on circular cast iron columns all with original seating intact. At ground floor late C19 benches and rostrum remain. A Wesleyan day school dating from 1864 exists to the rear of the chapel and a burial ground with headstones dating from early C19 and later to the front.
According to “Methodist Church buildings – Statistical Returns including seating accommodation, as at July 1st, 1940″ published by The Department for Chapel Affairs, Manchester in 1947, North Lopham Chapel had seating for 202 souls, all in pews at this time.
The chapel is currently at risk, recent news reaching the Society of its closure citing a lack of funds for ongoing repair and maintenance. It is understood that discussions have taken place regarding placing the chapel on the property market for development.
More news regarding its closure can be found on the Diss Express website.
Date: 10th – 15th November
Location: Regent’s Park College, Pusey St, Oxford, OX1 2LB
The Angus Library and Archive is the leading collection of Baptist history and heritage. Their next exhibition will commemorate the centenary of the First World War.
The exhibition looks at the events of the First World War and how these affected the thoughts and actions of non-conformists. Featured will be never before seen items such as correspondence from Prime Minister David Lloyd George, emergency passports issued at the outbreak of war and photographs from international war fronts.
There will be two additional events and talks:
10th November – 6.30pm – First World War talk with Dr Adrian Gregory
11th November – 6.30pm – ‘War, Peace and the Nonconformist Conscience’ with Professor Keith Robbins
Addoldai Cymru (Welsh Religious Buildings Trust) is a charity set up to take into ownership a selection of redundant chapels that are historically and/or architecturally significant to the story of chapel building and Nonconformity in Wales and that are valuable to their local communities.
It has recently launched a new website to promote Welsh Chapels with assistance from the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
The new website includes information about the chapels owned by Addoldai Cymru as well as a range of useful pages containing advice on the care of chapels as well as the history of Nonconformity.
We have extended the booking period for the Chapels Society’s conference on C20 nonconformist chapels until 08 October 2014.
This excellent and stimulating conference – with a range of well known speakers including Elaine Harwood, Andy Foster and Andrew Saint – will take place in Birmingham on 08 November 2014.
For more details and a booking form visit the event page.
Book now in case you miss out!
George Street Chapel
September’s Chapel of the Month is the charming but unlisted former joint Methodist-United Reformed Church chapel in George Street in the brewing town of Burton-upon-Trent. Known originally as George Street Chapel it was built of brick in a Grecian style to a design by Thomas Simpson of Nottingham and was opened in 1860. Now dwarfed by the neighbouring Coors brewery it is no longer in use as a place of worship and was most recently used as a beauty salon.
An excellent summary of Nonconformity in Burton-upon-Trent can be found on the British History Online website.
The National Churches Trust (NCT) is offering free surgeries with support and advice for dealing with specific issues relating to the care of churches, chapels and meeting houses via Skype. The sessions are aimed at people involved in general church care or dealing with repair or refurbishment projects. Future discussions may also include ideas on how best to develop tourism initiatives to attract more visitors and ways to get the support of the wider local community. To book a surgery visit http://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/news/look-after-your-church-skype
English Heritage has published a new 5-year strategy designed to:
- promote the value of places of worship
- support the communities that look after them
- support creative and viable ways of using places of worship to improve their sustainability
A copy of the strategy can be downloaded from the English Heritage website.
Various talks and activities are taking place in and around chapels in Wales as part of the Open Doors festival this month. Find out more on the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales blog.
Launched in March 2013 by the National Funding Scheme (NFS) and now available across the UK, DONATE has been created to allow everyone to be part of our cultural diversity and heritage. DONATE makes it easy for people to give to the things they care about.
DONATE also reclaims the Gift Aid on donations from UK tax payers, which is then passed on to the institution, adding as much as 25 per cent to the value of any gift.
The NFS is a registered charity set up to support other cultural charities; it does this through the DONATE platform, which it provides FOR FREE to arts and heritage organisations. Because NFS is a charity, it doesn’t charge a joining or monthly management fee – unlike commercial platforms such as Just Giving. DONATE also takes a smaller percentage of the donation than commercial providers (no more than four per cent). In addition, DONATE provides lots of additional services such as case studies, statistical reports, technology updates and workshops – as well as offline support – to help organisations make the most of DONATE.
If you’re an arts or heritage charity, you can join the hundreds of organisations who’ve already chosen to adopt DONATE by registering on the DONATE website.
George’s Meeting House on Exeter’s South Street was built as a Unitarian chapel in 1760, the year in which George III acceded to the throne. According to Allan Brockett, “it was named George’s Chapel in remembrance of the benefits that English Protestantism, and the Dissenters in particular, had gained from the Hannoverian Succession”.
The building is now a J D Wetherspoon’s pub but thankfully most of its interior has survived the conversion and a considerable amount of its character and charm remains.
You can read more about George’s Meeting House on the Exeter Memories website.
George’s Meeting House – Exterior
George’s Meeting House – Interior
George’s Meeting House – Stained Glass